Saturday, January 27, 2007

Purgatory

This is brilliant. Hat-tip to Sarah

The Dante's Inferno Test has sent you to Purgatory!
Here is how you matched up against all the levels:
LevelScore
Purgatory (Repenting Believers)Very High
Level 1 - Limbo (Virtuous Non-Believers)High
Level 2 (Lustful)Low
Level 3 (Gluttonous)Low
Level 4 (Prodigal and Avaricious)Very Low
Level 5 (Wrathful and Gloomy)Very Low
Level 6 - The City of Dis (Heretics)Very Low
Level 7 (Violent)Low
Level 8- the Malebolge (Fraudulent, Malicious, Panderers)Moderate
Level 9 - Cocytus (Treacherous)Very Low

Take the test here

Apparently I am well on my way to being safely in Purgatory on my death according to Dante's Inferno. I'm not sure if that means I should be happy or whether I should cut loose and have a little more fun to raise my other levels!

Right, I haven't done any movies for a bit so quite a few:

Galaxy Quest ****
Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves **** (Surprisingly good fun!)
John Carpenters Vampires *
Shaolin Soccer ****
Eragon *
Back to the Future *****
Intacto *****
Rocky 6 ***
Apocalypto **
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen *

Some words about the last film I think. LXG (as it is also known) is a dreadful film. But it really shouldn't have been. It draws on great source material, Alan Moore's graphic novel series. It has a great idea at its centre; transposing characters from literature like Allan Quatermain, Mina Harker, Jekyll & Hyde, the immortal Dorian Gray, Captain Nemo & Professor Moriarty to an alternative Victorian world. It's got some great actors, a large budget and the director who made the first Blade movie so enjoyable.

However, it falls down on so many levels. Firstly, the studio decided that it was too Brit-centric and added their own US literature hero Tom Sawyer as a Victorian US secret service agent. For goodness sake, Tom Sawyer! Bloody awful. Then the special effects are really, really sloppy, the dialogue is hilariously bad, the plot is muddled and probably worst of all, the film treats us like idiots and assumes that we know nothing about these great literary characters.

However, it does have a wonderful quote from Stuart Townsend as the invulnerable Dorian Gray (who was also absent from the original graphic novel). On being shot a multitude of times by a level one grunt he opens his shirt to show the doomed evil lackey the bullet holes healing. The guy asks "What are you?" To which the laconic reply is "I'm complicated". Easily the best bit of the film...

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Most people whose Dante results I've seen are in purgatory or limbo so I'd stay where you'll have company. Rahte than alone in level 6 like me. Obviously you're welcome to join me...

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was truly dire. Very very disappointing. We paid good money to see it at the cinema as well :(

9/10ths Full of Penguins said...

Hmmm, the heretic level eh? Well, there's plenty of time for me to end up there yet!

Luckily, I didn't pay good money to see it at the cinema. I borrowed it for free from a friend first time I saw it. But as it was on Film4 tonight, I thought I'd give it another chance....

I shouldn't have