Thursday, January 18, 2007

Inspiring!

I want to teach at pirate school!!
We had a very inspiring guest lecturer on our PGCE course today.

Last week we had to hand in the most boring essay in the world on Language and Diversity and I know that personally I felt a little bogged down in the bureaucracy and hoop-jumping element of training to be a teacher. In some ways these things are necessary, but not really that inspirational, so it was very encouraging to hear someone talk practically, but also passionately about teaching. I think our regular tutor has a bit of a raw deal having to teach us about how to mark A Level papers, various syllabi (is that even a word?) and a myriad other vital but hardly thrilling topics. Anyhoo....

How about some quiz answers?
For the two people who are waiting with bated keyboard fingers for these:

General Knowledge Round
1) Matthew Hoggard 2) George Galloway 3) Gobi Desert 4) Dante's Divine Comedy 5) Torchwood 6) Vicar of Dibley 7) Indiana Jones 4 8) Queen 9) this story 10) Heathrow Airport

Dan's Music Round
1) Aida & Verdi 2) 42million, Over 250, 6, Organ Pipe 3) A Moment Like This by Leona 4) A Day in the Life, Help!, Hey Jude, I Want to Hold Your Hand, Norwegian Wood, Strawberry Fields, Yesterday 5) Englebert Humperdinck 6) Raymond Quinn, 7) Crazy by Gnarls Barkley 8) Guitar, Violin, Cello 9) Platoon, Clockwork Orange, 2001, Top Gun 10) Any two of these.


Well done to Sarah who was the only one brave enough to post her answers!
Edited following harsh grammatical criticism from Fat Roland

5 comments:

Midnight Candle said...

The Divine Comedy Opera? Hm, okay. Yeah, that's interesting. I would see that.

Fat Roland said...

It's 'bated' keyboard fingers. 'Baited' keyboard fingers would be fingers pierced by fish hooks. I made the same mistake when commenting on someone else's blog and even now there are parts of Surrey I can't visit without having bricks thrown at me.

Oh and I think you'll find the correct word is 'syllapotomusses'.

9/10ths Full of Penguins said...

Ahem, I think you'll find I did mean 'baited' as I was referring to fingers liberally laden with fresh maggots. Although, those with a lesser intellect than mine would misunderstand that so I will change it ;)

Thank you however for 'syllapotomusses'. I will use that henceforth...

RUTH said...

On the subject of pirates...

the pirate tampon link. You have been warned.

9/10ths Full of Penguins said...

Yarrrrgh!

Slightly disturbed I be....

You know, if I could get away with it, I would walk around talking like a pirate all the time.

I might get fired though...