Saturday, September 30, 2006

Music

I realised the other day that I have yet to mention music on this blog. This is a curious omission as I love music. So to rectify....

Over the past 3 or 4 years I have been involved with an RSL (Restricted Service Licence) FM radio station called Refresh FM, which broadcasts around Easter for two weeks or so. For some unknown reason, they keep inviting myself and radio clone Eyan back to do more stuff. Last year we had the opportunity to present an evening music show for two weeks. Even more astounding was the fact that they gave us the complete freedom to indulge our various musical tastes. I also got the chance to present two weekend drivetime shows, one with the impressively coiffured and monikered Dan Dexter, and one flying solo.

I have been searching for music and some or all of the following will probably make an appearance at some point in Refresh 2007

Derek Webb
Derek Webb was the lead singer of a band called Caedmon's Call and his solo stuff is excellent. You can legally download his entire recent album through his website and its well worth a listen.
Sufjan Stevens
The Arcade Fire
Klaxons

I've also found new stuff from all of the following that I already really like and that will probably make an appearance at Easter:
Pedro the Lion
Mae
Ben Folds
Death Cab for Cutie
Sigur Ros
Muse, Thom Yorke(Radiohead), The Fratellis, Thievery Corporation, Mogwai, Panic! At the Disco, Motion City Soundtrack, The Violet Burning, Viva Voce. British Sea Power and Eisley.

Phew, I could go on all night, but I won't. I've put myspace links where I can because you can get a flavour of the bands and then go to their homepages from there....

Here are some movies I've seen this week:

The Night Listener ****
A Cock & Bull Story ****
Capote *****
Children of Men *****
(on seeing this a second time, I have added an extra star)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay, Sigur Ros. I followed the links to several artists. Derek Webb was new to me, very enjoyable. Thank you. :)